Thursday 13 January 2011

Jamie Gordon

6 July 2005


The six day trip across to Australia was characterised by grey days and cold rain, with the odd sunny day in between, but was uneventful and mostly pleasant. The autopilot continued to play up from time to time. We arrived in Bundaberg at 10 am and tied up at the Port Marina for check in. Quarantine arrived and charged us the exorbitant fee of $160 to confiscate our brown rice! They were friendly and chatty, apologetic about the fee and gave us a couple of peak caps. We remained tied up at the marina for a couple of days and walked into the nearest little village to buy a few provisions and find internet connection. Whilst shopping in the local store we heard the breaking news of the bombs that had exploded in London on the morning of the 7th of July. Shocked and appalled as we were, it never entered our heads that this dreadful event may affect us. My two sisters have birthdays on 6th and 8th July and I hurried to the internet cafe to send them belated greetings. We then motored the nine miles inland up the Burnett River to the river anchorage off Bundaberg Town.

There, checking my emails in the library, I learned from my sister Pairose that her son Jamie, my nephew, then aged 30 years, was one of the victims on the bus that exploded at Tavistock Square on the 7th.


Jamie Hector Gregor Glenbucket Gordon

He was an outstanding young man, extremely well loved by all who knew him. He is very sorely missed.



Thanks to the generosity of my brother-in-law, David, I flew to London on the 17th of July for two weeks to attend the funeral, leaving Mike to look after Forever. It was a terrible time for all the family, but most particularly Jamie’s parents, Pairose and David.  My sister Lucy had also flown out from South Africa and my two brothers, Jimmy and Harry, both live in London, so the whole family was there including all the children, though they are not all in this picture.



We never think tragedy is going to strike us personally, which makes it so very shocking. But it is a time for people to draw together and it was good to catch up with people I had not seen for many years, including friends and extended family at the funeral. Lucy stayed on in London to support Pairose and I flew back to Australia on 4 August.



As it happens, the Inquest into the bombing of the No 30 bus that killed - no, I should say murdered - 13 people, including our beloved Jamie, in Tavistock Square on 7 July 2005 is ongoing at this moment in London, bringing back painful memories to so many.

1 comment: